Hillary Clinton Slams Rumsfeld

I don’t agree with Senator Clinton on very much but I do share her feelings about our current Defense Secretary. Hillary has been on the offensive in her attacks on Donald Rumsfeld which was capped off by her call for his resignation. "I think the president should choose to accept Secretary Rumsfeld's resignation ... The secretary has lost credibility with the Congress and with the people ... It's time for him to step down,” Clinton said Yesterday. "I just don't understand why we can't get new leadership that would give us a fighting chance to turn the situation around before it's too late."

I agree 100%; I don’t understand it either! Iraq is a disaster and quite possibly a failure. We have US generals on the ground talking about a civil war and we have an administration that has lost all credibility with the American people. We are in a situation where our own leadership is either in denial or has completely lost touch with the reality of the situation. Plain and simple; it is incompetence. On the political front, Iraq is advancing. On the security front, Iraq is collapsing. If the President was the leader I knew him to be in his first term, he would have already fired the grossly incompetent head of the DOD. I’ve said it before and some of my Republican friends scoffed, but I will say it again. WE ARE LOSING IN IRAQ.

It pains me to say it but Hillary Clinton is spot on. We didn’t go into Iraq with enough troops… I blamed it on the ridiculous “hearts and minds” strategy. Rumsfeld underestimated the strength and potential of the Insurgency; that’s very clear. And what upsets me is that after it was clear they underestimated the enemy, nothing was done to rectify the obvious problem. It’s like they shoved fingers in their ears and proceeded to slam their heads on a desk yelling la, la, la, I can’t hear you, Iraq will work itself out. Military vehicles aren’t even up-armored and many of the service personnel lack the proper body armor for heaven’s sake. The only thing I disagree with Hillary about, in this instance, is her views on disbanding the Iraqi army…that was something that needed to be done.

All in all, something has to change in our Iraq strategy or it’s a waste. Get rid of the hearts and minds concept and begin to shut down the Sunni Triangle. Either send more troops, in an effort to use overwhelming force to stabilize the provincial hot spots with hopes to stop the violence and further train the Iraqi military, or risk civil war and our untimely withdrawal. Iraq is so important to our long-term strategic objectives that is hard to just say pull out. But something has to change… and I mean fast. It’s obvious the Democrats can’t do it but it seems like this current administration is incapable as well. They just don’t have the will.