Annan: I Failed Saddam Hussein

I finally read the AP story on Kofi Annan’s comment about the United States being stuck in Iraq. I noticed the “Trapped in Iraq” headline from several news sources on my Google Homepage this morning but decided to skip it because it sounded like that typical bullshit. But since I had time this evening, I reluctantly gave the article a read. And it wasn’t the Trapped comment that I cared about but it was what he named as his biggest regret that caught my attention.

(
NewsMax) Annan, whose term ends as the head of the global body on Jan. 1, said the war in Iraq, and the failure of the U.N. Security Council to prevent the invasion by U.S.-led forces, was the biggest regret he had from his 10-year tenure. "I firmly believe that the war could have been avoided," he told reporters at the United Nations in Geneva. "The inspectors should have had a bit more time."

His failure to keep Saddam Hussein in power is his biggest regret? Wow! His biggest regret is not uh, let’s see, DARFUR! His biggest regret is not that he allowed Saddam Hussein to violate every Security Council resolution or the fact that the UN was at the helm of one of the biggest scandals in history? His biggest regret is not that the UN has consistently legitimized rogue nations like Iran or Cuba?

And he said that he firmly believes the war could have been avoided. All I have to say to that is: Yes Kofi... it could have been avoided if the UN enforced its own resolutions, wasn’t busy aiding Hussien’s regime with the Oil For Food Scandal, wasn't moving to lift sanctions, and was willing to stand united against such tyrants. -- But they sure did try, didn’t they? After all, avoiding action against dictatorial regimes is what the UN does best.