Elton John: I Would Ban Religion

Elton John has publicly displayed his contempt for organized religion by calling for it to be banned and claiming it promotes hatred towards homosexuals. “I think religion has always tried to turn hatred towards gay people,” John said in the Observer newspaper's Music Monthly Magazine. "I would ban religion completely. Organized religion doesn't seem to work. It turns people into really hateful lemmings and it's not really compassionate." -Story-

Personally, I agree that religion has been used to create a growing hatred towards gays but I would not go as far as calling for it to be banned. Although, I happen to think that his call for the banning of religion was more of an exaggerated statement than an actual belief or want.

He also brought up an interesting point by mentioning the lack of leadership from the Church in regards to promoting understanding and compassion. There has been virtually no movement forward from top church officials on this issue. Like most things organized religion is full of contradictions and hypocrisy and unfortunately it uses fear-based indoctrination to create a sense of homophobia, among other things.

I’m not against individual people of faith but I do share Elton John’s contempt for the obvious wrongs of the dogmatic system. I’ve even lost some conservative readers because my views on gay marriage are based on the concept of a Republic (I’m for gay-marriage if voted in by a state’s populace but against court mandates making same sex marriage legal). And I’m almost sure I lost some readers because of my recent post: “To Hell with Organized Religion”.

But if they feel put off because of my opinions… Fuck ‘em! I hate religious nuts almost as much as I hate liberal nuts.