The Killjoys Are Everywhere

After the big brew-haha over the Washington Redskins, I expected some backlash from the American public. Unfortunately, I was let down and the pitiful PC Police have struck again... this time in Illinois.

URBANA, Ill. — The University of Illinois will retire its 81-year-old American Indian mascot, Chief Illiniwek, following the last men's home basketball game of the season Wednesday.

The NCAA in 2005 deemed the buckskin-clad Illiniwek an offensive use of American Indian imagery and barred the university from hosting post-season events.


I understand that some people, including Indian groups, find a full-fledged Indian mascot somewhat offensive. However, I do not find such tributes offensive because I believe they are, just that... tributes. Being from the Southwest I naturally have some Indian blood in me and I'm friends with families who are native American. So I can speak from a somewhat relevant perspective.

The issue is similar to the confederate flag issue in that it represents a horrible point in American history, yet it is still an important part of American history.


I see an Indian mascot and I see strength, honor, and courage; Which is embodied in many sports teams, namely the Atlanta Braves (with the tomahawk chop). Other people see an Indian mascot and see mockery, oppression, slaughter, and greed.

The point is: many Americans understand the plight of the Indian people and respect them for it. Others see their plight and feel nothing but contempt for their own country. -I’m here to tell you that when we do the tomahawk chop or celebrate the Illiniwek, we do it out of respect and out of the knowledge that if we aspire to have the character of our native people, it gives us (the team) strength. But when people, out of political correctness, use the respect for our past to change this country from one of understanding to a, "make everyone feel comfortable" society, it bothers me.

Whatever happened to just being able to have a good time? What's next, huh? No more candy at the movies because diabetics might be offended? Or no more beer at sporting events because some people might be recovering alcoholics.