Where Have All The Leaders Gone?

In my relatively short life I have been a longtime supporter of President George W. Bush. I voted for the man in 2004 and switched political parties because of his leadership after the attacks of September 11th, 2001. However, the expectations I set for this Administration have been lagging at best, and completely unacceptable, at worst. Although, this government, with regards to the war on terror, has done remarkably well; Notwithstanding the horrid failure of Operation Iraqi Freedom. But this is not about George Bush or my discontent with his presidency; this is about the lack of strong Republican leadership and the upcoming presidential elections.

What do we know? We know that none of the current class of presidential hopefuls is willing to actually secure the southern border of the United States of America. We know Rudy G. is weak, in the eyes of conservatives on social issues. We know, many on the far-right, view John McCain as a traitor-of-sorts in terms of his political ideology. We know that Mitt Romney is too handsome to be President; not to mention that Mormon thing really doesn’t fly well with evangelical Christians. We also know that when it comes down to simple feeling, none of these candidates are leaders.

I happen to want, if the choice is just those three, to see John McCain get the top spot. He really is the only one, out of the three, who actually has, at least, the partial ability to be president. I know many people on the far-right and some of my Republican friends disagree completely. But the truth is... he’s the only one. Yes, Rudy did a great job after 9/11 and yes Romney has been a fairly effective governor, but I just don’t see it.

The real choice for us hawkish Republicans is naturally the incredibly smart and the incredibly talented, Condoleezza Rice. She, and likely only she, has my vote for the 2008 election. -You might be thinking, but Condi hasn’t even announced her candidacy. I assure you, she will run and she will win.

More to the point: I don’t like political pandering and I don’t vote for people who aren’t willing to do what is necessary for the country, even at the expense of their political livelihood. And, for me, it’s all about the primary issue facing this country, as well as the direct and indirect consequences involved with that issue. The war on terror, or however you want to phrase it, is important. We are facing an enemy that is very determined and the last thing we need in this country is a damn waffler. I’ve said it before on this blog and I’ll say it again: I will vote for the right person, for the right reasons, during difficult times, no matter the party affiliation.

So far, the Democratic Party has no leaders. And they certainly don’t have individuals willing to base their decisions on what’s best for the country. And I’m afraid, in the absence of Condi, Republicans have no real leaders either.

the point is: it really shouldn’t be about partisan politics, it should be about the betterment of the United States. And I’m voting for the first person I see, Democrat or Republican, who shows me real leadership. People are dying and we are at war... I know to some people that reality is just a minor inconvenience getting in the way of their partisan agenda but for the rest of us, we need more than just the same old BS we've been shoveled, from both parties, for the past 5 1/2 years.