Anthony Tafoya; My Progress and Workout Routine

I have always been in excellent shape given that I've played competitive soccer since I was 5 years old; all the way up to my college club soccer team. However, (even during college) for a few years, I let myself go. 3 years ago I was 200 lbs. And at 5ft7 that's not a good thing.

If you are like me (someone who was always in great athletic condition), and one day you catch yourself in the mirror, horribly out of shape, you wonder, 'what the hell happened to me?'. With lower back pain and shin splints due to being overweight; my mind was made up. "No More Bullshit", I said. And so... the training began.

I lost almost 20 lbs in about 2 1/2 weeks. I hit it with Two-A-Days. Afternoon weight training and evening Spin and Zumba classes... I busted my ass for about a month straight with that regiment. I reached 180lbs and was walking around at that weight for quite a while. -In my mind I thought I was in awesome shape.... I wasn't 'though.

I was going through a lot of personal issues until about 8 months ago. I was drinking at least 4 days a week and eating up a storm. I was at the gym every single day; not making any real progress. I was building muscle and somewhat leaning out, but not enough. (And I was training very hard). I always pride myself on being the one who works the hardest at the gym. I was just letting the beer and food get in the way.

So, about a year ago, I had successfully cut down to 170 (despite drinking heavily). And again, in my mind I thought I was making real progress. -But, not with the beer dragging me down. Sure, I looked pretty good but I wasn't at the elite level that I had convinced myself of being. I tried to play it off. I thought, 'it doesn't matter how much I drink because I work hard enough to still reach my goal' -Nope.

Thankfully, I got my mind right and came to realize that all the bullshit around me was not going to stop me from reaching my ultimate goal. (walking around at 155lbs). I started eating better and cut my drinking to only social occasions. Maybe once a week. I stopped allowing irrelevant  circumstances dictate my life. I freed myself from wasted-time and nonsense. -It felt great!

Anthony Tafoya

I'm currently 158lbs and leaning out to an elite level. I train myself with elite MMA fighter standards. -My body used to hate running. I had so much lower back pain and shin pain that it was literally unbearable (at times I couldn't walk after tying to run). Now, when I run, I feel like I used to feel on the soccer fields. I feel like I'm me. -Because the only time, in my life, I ever feel right and comfortable is playing soccer. I'm glad I have that feeling again.

Current Regiment:
I don't lift heavy. The only exercise I max-out with, is Squats. (Remember, there is a difference between REALLY working out, and sitting on a bench lifting a weight). I use high rep, high intensity training and core strength routines.

Standard "300" workout. (Pull ups; Dead Lifts; Box Jumps; Push Ups; Floor Wipers; Kettle Bell Lifts). 300 consecutive reps without rest split between the above workouts. Once a week.

--Intense Spin Class Tuesday and Thursdays

--Sprints, Hurdles, Tire Lifts, and Interval Training once a week.

--Heavy Bag 1-2 times a week

-- Monday-Friday
I engage in all the standard workouts. (but with less weight, high intensity and high rep) Chest, Back, Legs, Arms, Core, Abs etc.